Bio: Born on January 3, 1892, J. R. R. Tolkien was an English writer, poet, philologist, and professor. More than almost anyone else, his cycle of works—including The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion—have left an indelible influence on high fantasy to this day. Tolkien fought in WWI, and taught at the University of Leeds and the University of Oxford. In addition to his fantasy work, he translated numerous works of Anglo-Saxon and Middle English. In 1972, he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire. He passed away on 29 November 1971, at the age of 82.
- The tombstone of Tolkien and his wife bears the names Beren and Lúthien, two characters from his legendarium.
- Tolkien constructed the grammar and vocabulary of at least fifteen Elvish languages and dialects.
- At times, he began classes by appearing in chain mail, bellowing the opening lines of Beowulf. “According to one of his students, ‘He could turn a lecture room into a mead hall.’”
- Tolkien was also very involved in reconstructing ‘extinct’ languages, such as Medieval Welsh and Lombardic. The poem “BagmÄ“ BlomÄ” (“Flower of the Trees”) might be the first original work written in the Gothic language in over a millennium.
- He has been published almost as prolifically after his death as he was when he was alive.
- Tolkien began work on The Hobbit early in the 1930s while marking School Certificate papers. He found a blank page and, with sudden inspiration, wrote the words, “In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.”
The sun went down, and Morwen sighed and clasped his hand and was still; and Húrin knew that she had died.
[…“You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!”] “Thanks goodness!” said Bilbo laughing, and handed him the tobacco-jar.
From The Hobbit
Then shouldering their burdens, they set off, seeking a path that would bring them over the grey hills of the Emyn Muil, and into the Land of Shadow.
Frodo was alive but taken by the Enemy.
From The Two Towers
"Well, I’m back," he said.
[Here ends the SILMARILLION.] If it has passed from the high and the beautiful to darkness and ruin, that was of old the fate of Arda Marred; and if any change shall come and the Marring be amended, Manwë and Varda may know; but they have not revealed it, and it is not declared in the dooms of Mandos.
From The Silmarillion
- lefoinquidepassedelacharrette likes this
- diners-at-sunrise likes this
- 3crates likes this
- fuckyeahumw likes this
- ourdreamoffreedom reblogged this from the-final-sentence and added:
- myrnawilliams reblogged this from foreverlotr
- ghostswans likes this
- madamoiselfie reblogged this from thranduilings
- thesiriana likes this
- elfself reblogged this from thranduilings
- multenis likes this
- blancsanglier reblogged this from thranduilings
- b-mackenzie-scott reblogged this from winebreadandart
- the-bloodless-arcanist reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- psycho--owl reblogged this from thranduilings
- thepottercurse likes this
- dianesdreams likes this
- theleakypepper reblogged this from bompstablecat
- bompstablecat reblogged this from the-vales-of-anduin
- chiiiinyan likes this
- emikodd likes this
- hvmanigeneris likes this
- pearleyednomad reblogged this from heavenlier
- hairyboots reblogged this from thorinwantsthebaggins
- tilefloorsandcrackers reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- ninuiithil reblogged this from thranduilings
- headofporridge reblogged this from thranduilings
- lifeismusic-playitlouder reblogged this from foreverlotr
- buckle-berry-ferry likes this
- garden-of-stars reblogged this from starmaps
- torinshield reblogged this from thranduilings
- bewitch-my-heart-and-soul likes this
- maedhros-will-both-hands likes this
- lovethesweet reblogged this from the-rightful-king-of-erebor
- lovethesweet likes this
- the-gray-fox likes this
- the-green-hand reblogged this from swanofdolamroth
- mewling-assbutt-of-erebor reblogged this from swanofdolamroth
- mewling-assbutt-of-erebor likes this
- swanofdolamroth reblogged this from thranduilings
- cocchino likes this
- youandibreatheconstellations reblogged this from twisted-pumpkin
- ai-nono likes this
- silverceleb reblogged this from thranduilings
- kinkykingkey reblogged this from youaskedfurret
- evilwoolgrill reblogged this from admiraljaneway
- infinitegrief likes this
- admiraljaneway reblogged this from thranduilings
- stridesthebehemoth likes this