Bio: Mary Oliver was born in Maple Heights, Ohio in 1935. She lives in Provincetown, Massachusetts, where she moved with her late partner Molly Malone Cook in the 1950s.
Oliver’s poetry is strongly influenced by her love for nature, especially that of Cape Cod, and is often accompanied with a sense of spirituality.
The Harvard Review remarked that Mary Oliver “is a poet of wisdom and generosity whose vision allows us to look intimately at a world not of our making.”
Oliver is known to be a very private person and prefers to express herself through her writing. Her work has been recognised with the Pulitzer and American National Book Award.
- Mary Oliver is a great admirer of Edna St. Vincent Millay. She briefly lived in the poet’s house, where she helped St. Vincent Millay’s sister sort through papers left behind by St. Vincent Millay.
- Oliver attended both Ohio State University and Vassar College, without receiving a degree.
- Drawing a lot of inspiration from her walks and writing much of her poetry outdoors, Oliver apparently hid pencils in some trees after she found herself with no pen on one of her walks.
I don’t want to end up simply having visited this world.
from “When Death Comes”
Watch, now, how I start the day
in happiness, in kindness.
from “Why I Wake Early”
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
from “The Summer Day”
And my heart panics not to be, as I long to be,
the empty, waiting, pure, speechless receptacle.
from “Blue Iris”
- originalheartlikemine likes this
- losealpha likes this
- mercuriousness likes this
- whiteboymikewarren reblogged this from elfponine
- whiteboymikewarren likes this
- elfponine reblogged this from camillamacaulayy
- camillamacaulayy reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- booksbear reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- frostyfawkes reblogged this from englishmajorinrepair
- that-flash-bastard reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- biehls reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- sittingwithwaterhouse reblogged this from the-final-sentence and added:
- itbefellinthedays reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- vesuvianprincess likes this
- laddiegirl likes this
- jambomama likes this
- deadpansnarking reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- furieshand reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- wierdthingy likes this
- writebraindead likes this
- intrepidobserver likes this
- jeskah-atx likes this
- littlebitofrain likes this
- kbambiguity likes this
- swb12 likes this
- intothesebonds likes this
- scribblearts likes this
- mollersaurus likes this
- terra-et-stellas likes this
- wingsofyellowbutterflies reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- infinitelyophelia reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- katieeedaly likes this
- missf10 reblogged this from the-final-sentence and added:
- missf10 likes this
- atlas--axis likes this
- maiamaia likes this
- whiskeyandfrenchcigarettes reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- worthyofwonder likes this
- fionjlau likes this
- she-was-coloured-in likes this
- seenecdoche reblogged this from englishmajorinrepair
- special11 likes this
- averysnarkyelephant likes this
- partoftheocean reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- seenecdoche likes this
- chloeinacoma likes this
- katherzr reblogged this from the-final-sentence
- mbphilips likes this
- lizzordie likes this